Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tailor Shop


I can't remember when I took this image exactly probably around 2004 in the summer. This was one of the last remaining buildings on the Old Maxwell Street flea market. I won't go into the history of the place lets just say it was around for a very long time. A historic place that UIC decided to buy up all the land and to expand their campus. Whenever I've seen color photos from Maxwell Street back in the day the colors were always just gaudy and taken in bad light. I've alway known Maxwell Street in B&W it just always felt right. On this day I drove by later in the afternoon around 3 or 4pm and I happened to have color film in the camera so I was like hell, why not light was great nice and warm, so I made a few images this one of the the ones I liked. I remember going inside the tailor shop one time and met by these 2 older men that were just so paranoid like the Nazi's were going in to get them and would not let me photograph at all. The guy sitting in front of the building was there if I remember correctly was to take care and feed some cats there were living there. I don't think he was living there at the time maybe he was, but all those 2 buidlings were really close to being demolished. These homeless guys would back into these places just for a place to sleep. This area if you go there now does not look anything close to what it used to be and its a shame really. History down the tubes at least we have the photographs......

No comments: