Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Recycle


Passing though my old stomping grounds of Oregon, IL. When I was in college I took this documentary photography class which changed at the time and still has a huge influence on me and how I photograph today. As a class we choose to photograph Route 64 which is North Ave in Chicago and it goes all the way out to Iowa. Jumping in a car with a friend usually Dan or a bunch of friends and just exploring and documenting the road...Its how I got hooked on road tripping and going to small towns really and plus I love to drive. From time to time since I've graduated college I'll get on RT 64 and drive though some of the towns I did back in college like I did on this one Sunday afternoon a month ago or so on my way back home from the Stephenson County Fair. Oregon is right on the Rock River on RT 64 and has always been one of the more interesting towns on 64. Its hard for me to come back to places I've been to before many times and try to make images. I always find it easier and more exciting to make images at places I've never been to before and getting my first responses to the place is always a thrill when the place a good. On this day it was a challenge since I had been to Oregon a few times, I had been out all afternoon in 100 degree heat feeling pretty tired I set out to try to make images. The great thing was the light was really great which always helps a lot. I came across one of the more interesting store fronts in town with this computer screen and a plant in this red pot really drew my attention. I love the shadow of the plant and how its kinda dancing around the recycling symbol on the screen was just perfect. The light on that plant is special in the way it's diagonally illuminating the plant...

No comments: